Subject: RE: [dita] where's the spec?

Working on it...

Michael Priestley
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com

"JoAnn Hackos" <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>

06/28/2005 11:58 AM

"Paul Grosso" <pgrosso@arbortext.com>, "DITA TC list" <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
RE: [dita] where's the spec?

You're quite right Paul.
Can we remedy this problem very quickly, perhaps immediately.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Grosso [mailto:pgrosso@arbortext.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 9:53 AM
To: DITA TC list

Thanks JoAnn (and Seraphim), but that's not the point.
I have a copy of the spec myself, and I know there are
pointers to zip files.

What's missing is an online publicly referenceable
HTML copy of the spec.  So that I can point someone to
http://www.oasis-open.org/specs/dita1.0/archspechtml/conref.html
to read about conref, for example.

Sorry if I seem strident about this, but I'm frankly
flabbergasted that OASIS isn't stricter about making
sure its standards are accessible.  Personally, I
wouldn't consider anything to be an official OASIS
standard until it had a permanent URL to a public HTML
copy.  Why doesn't OASIS have the equivalent of W3C's
TR page at http://www.w3.org/TR/ with pointers to public,
referenceable HTML versions of all the standards?  I've
seen http://www.oasis-open.org/specs/index.php but
very few of the OASIS standards listed there seem to
have pointers to public, referenceable HTML versions
which means there is no good way to point someone to
something in one of these specs.

paul