Subject: Re: [dita] The collection-type attribute

Right now the toolkit doesn't provide any difference in output between unordered and choice - the difference, semantically, is that "unordered" implies that the children are not in an ordered relationship, and have no specific relationship to each other; whereas "choice" implies that each of the children is an alternative or option out of a set.

Here's a rough outline of the differences:

(default) or unordered: no semantic implication. Child topicrefs are collected under the parent for a reason, but the reason doesn't imply stucture or behavior (ie one or all of the subtopics may get read).
Example:
>Things I own
   >A car
   >A house
   >A computer
Current result: parent topic links to children in bulleted list, children link back to parent

choice: child topicrefs are collected under the parent to indicate that they are alternative paths or implementations of the parent type, ie only one of the subtopics is likely to get read
Example:
>Getting to the meeting
   >By car
   >By bike
   >By public transit
   >On foot
Current result: parent topic links to children in bulleted list, children link back to parent

sequence: child topicrefs are collected under the parent to indicate that they are typically read in sequence
Example:
>Getting there by bike
   >Packing for the trip
   >Leg 1: from A to B
   >Leg 2: from B to C
   >Where to lock up your bike
Current result: parent topic links to children in numbered list, children link back to parent, children link to next and previous siblings

family: child topicrefs are collected under the parent to indicate that they are typically all read together - while the reader could start at any place, the topics are all closely related and typically the reader will need to read all of them to answer their question
Example:
>Walking versus biking
    >Walking
    >Biking
Current result: parent topic links to children in bulleted list, children link back to parent, children link to all siblings

I hope this helps,

Michael Priestley
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com

Christopher Wong <cwong@idiominc.com>

07/06/2005 03:04 PM

Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>, dita@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
Re: [dita] The collection-type attribute

Thanks, but these descriptions aren't very complete. What's the
difference, for example, between collection-type="unordered" and
collection-type="choice"? Right now, we're trying to figure out how to
render these things by running samples through the Open Toolkit, but
that is sort of putting an implementation before the standard. It seems
that we are still missing the original intent or meaning behind each of
these possible values (unordered, choice, sequence, family).

Chris