Subject: RE: [dita] Inverse conditionals: was: RE: [dita] New DITA Issues

I would just prefer for business rules to be built-into DITA or expressible in standardized syntaxes rather than tool proprietary. Let's say you have 5 specialized DTDs with 5 different conditions, 3 authoring applications, 3 publishing systems and 2 departmental CMS' (which may also want to validate to protect against end-users who workaround their tools). That's a lot of proprietary configuration! I see DITA as a chance to move away from all of that.
From: Chris Wong [mailto:cwong@idiominc.com]
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2005 8:35 AM
To: Paul Prescod; dita@lists.oasis-open.org

I think authoring tools will have to provide some sort of front end to conditional processing in any case. Telling authors that they have to edit these attributes directly probably won't fly, and hand-editing attributes is error-prone anyway. FrameMaker has a front-end, but it's PI-based. Epic can enforce coherent conditions using a custom profiling configuration (.pcf), and this will work with native DITA. I would love to see how XMetal's UI will look.

Chris