Subject: RE: [dita] index terms

I agree with the general idea that you present that we should not overengineer for the less useful cases, and indeed with most of what you just wrote. I only disagree specifically with the contention that page ranges belongs in the category of an unnecessary frill. Not everyone uses primary entries, but just about every single book index I've seen uses page ranges. It is one of those features that are actively in use in real life by real life authors in real production environments.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Eliot Kimber [mailto:ekimber@innodata-isogen.com]
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 1:56 PM
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

Erik Hennum wrote:

> For accessing well-defined chunks of information within a minimalist book,
> the index becomes, if anything, more important.

But how important is the *sophistication* of the index? That is, I would
expect an index to list every useful keyword but I wouldn't necessarily
expect it to have frills like page ranges or primary entries. Assuming
authors use topic-level metadata and appropriate "mention" elements,
somewhere between 80 and 100 percent of a back-of-the-book index should
be generatable from that data alone, depending on the nature of the
content and the type of document (easier for reference, less so for
conceptual or procedural).

I guess what I'm really try to say is, adding features like ranges or
sophisticated ways to bind multi-level entries to containers or manage
controlled vocabularies, feel like over-optimization to me, that they
don't meet the 80/20 cut.

One of the challenges with a system like DITA is that it enables lots of
really cool ways to do things structurally that can make the core
information very sophisticated. The more of these that are in the design
the more temptation there is for the designers to add more of them. I
know this because I lived it for a number of years in helping to define
the original IBM ID Doc and then HyTime 2.

But the painful lesson I learned was that by and large most document
creators are simply incapable of using much of what the designers can
imagine for the simple reason that the intellectual and labor overhead
of using the features isn't (or doesn't appear to be at the moment)
balanced by the value provided by its use. This is the lesson of HTML
and XML.

So maybe I'm just oversensitive to potential overengineering, but I know
in my gut that, regardless of all the clever ways that we can provide
for creating index entries, the vast majority of authors doing indexing
just want to slap index markers into their content and go on.

The other part of this is that the modular, deconstructed nature of DITA
content makes defining indexes in particular more involved than it is in
simpler book-primary structures like DocBook, when you can just define
the index and go. This means that there is higher cost of design for us
and cost of use for users to get the same indexing features.  That's why
I urge caution in evaluating these features.

W. Eliot Kimber
Professional Services
Innodata Isogen
9390 Research Blvd, #410