Subject: RE: [dita] Nested Sections

1. The questions are not topics because they are not (in this customer's context) designed to be meaningful _on their own_. They could refer to the content above them or the question above or below them.

2. The customer wants the wrapper for the reasons I described below. The wrapper simplifies authoring. The wrapper simplifies formatting. The wrapper guarantees that the questions are always together (there might be other kinds of sub-topics).

3. Your model requires the questions to be the last thing in the topic, except for another subtopic. But the customer might want "back matter" for a topic that also makes no sense as a standalone topic. e.g., they think of the related-links element as following the questions (both for authoring and publishing).

We're contorting the way they model and think about their system and I don't really understand how they or we benefit.

From: Michael Priestley [mailto:mpriestl@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 7:54 PM
To: Paul Prescod
Cc: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

If you modeled each question as its own topic, you would not need a container topic called "Questions".

Example:

<learningobject id="x">
        <title>...</title>
        <question>
                <title>..</title>
        </question
        <question>
                <title>..</title>
        </question
        <question>
                <title>..</title>
        </question
</learningobject>

Underneath the covers, there'd be two specialization modules, integrated into a doctype that specifies "learningobjects contain questions". But to the user, this would be very similar to the structure you described below, just without the container element.

Michael Priestley
IBM DITA Architect
SWG Classification Schema PDT Lead
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com

"Paul Prescod" <paul.prescod@blastradius.com>

11/02/2005 07:48 PM

<dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
[dita] Nested Sections

In a previous discussion, Michael asked why nest sections when you can
nest topics. My opinion is as follows.

If topic-based authoring means anythng then it means that you don't
arbitrarily shred everything with a title into a topic. Topics are
things that have meaning ON THEIR OWN. A section that is inherently
embedded in its context should not become a topic to fulfill an
arbitrary requirement of a framework.

Our customer is in the e-learning domain. He has "questions" that are
directly related to the surrounding content. The questions are richly
structured like sections. The set of questions needs a wrapper element
to supply a title and organize the authoring experience.

Reusable Learning Object
                Information
                Information
                Questions
                                 Question title
                                                  Para
                                                  Para
                                                  List
                                                  Para
                                 Question
                                                  Para
                                                  List
                                                  Table
                                                  Para
                                 Question
                                                  Para
                                                  Table
                                                  Para

So in this case I'm not looking for infinitely nested sections. I just
need two levels hard-coded into the specialized topic type. I don't
think that this design is controversial, innovative or unique.

If I turn "Question" into a topic type then I also need to turn
"Questions" into a topic type and its only purpose is to wrap up other
topics. Plus I cannot default the title. Plus there are content
management and policy implications, because the customer wants all
topics to be content managed objects and all content managed objects to
be topics (in the sense of being inherently designed for reuse). (which
seems quite reasonable to me)

My other use case is wrapping up multiple elements to supply a single
conditional attribute on them.

Para
Section audience="expert"
                Para
                Para
                Section product=""
                                 Para
                                 Para
                                 Para
Para

I would also use this mechanism to conref more than one element at a
time. (I personally prefer this to a range-start/range-end model).