Subject: RE: [dita] Nested Sections

From: Jennifer Linton [mailto:jennifer.linton@comtech-serv.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 3:12 PM
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

I have two, which may be very silly questions/solutions but let me know.

1) Why couldn’t you create a specialization for these clients which allows them to nest sections just for those topics where they are creating questions?

Specializations must always be stricter than their base elements. That's why we are saying that the "generic topic" type should be loose  (as it already is, in most ways) to allow people to model what they want in their specializations. People who want to be strict in their specializations are free to.

2) It seems to me that the most the people are nesting these sections is one level deeper than the actual section content unit. What if we introduced a subsection element that is allowed for one level under the section content unit?

 I thought about this myself, but I was nervous about putting in a half-measure and then a few months from now finding out that there are more customers for whom it isn't sufficient.

I think that if this is critical enough we can put mechanisms in place to prevent users from nesting sections to any level they want.

 Yes, Erik Hennum is working on a generalized mechanism for allowing every installation of DITA to express their own policies.

 Paul Prescod