Subject: RE: [dita] Two proposals for nested sections

I just want to clarify one thing. Obviously we won't agree on solutions
to problems if we don't agree on the problem statement.

________________________________

	From: Michael Priestley [mailto:mpriestl@ca.ibm.com]
	Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 7:39 PM
	To: Paul Prescod
	Cc: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

> For me it comes down to how much control we put in the hands of
> the map author versus the content author.

Actually, neither of these people is a concern to me. My question is how
much control we put in the hands of the _specializer_. My second
proposal was specifically designed to bind the hands of the author and
yet free the hands of the specializer.

If our goal is to maximize the number of topics, without regard to
semantics, content analysis or business rules, then we should just get
rid of sections altogether. Any argument you can use against two levels
of nesting can be applied against a single level of nesting.

If the only compromise to be had is one that complicates DITA with a new
base type then I would argue to defer the issue until more TC members
have experience with the problem and its current workarounds. I would
hope that a concensus one way or the other would arise through the
aggregation of use cases.

 Paul Prescod