Subject: Re: [dita] Name attribute of object element

As you note, I can vouch that the related object and param elements were
borrowed literally from XHTML.  There was no point in reinventing yet
another object description method since the XHTML model demonstrates
reasonable functionality that many help authors already understand.  HTML
attributes were retained to allow passthrough of the setup data for end
uses.  The Required error was probably copied from the W3C spec before the
final values for DITA were adjusted.

I agree that this is an edit change for the commonLRdefs.dita file in the
Language Spec.  Editors, how shall we log and track this and other minor
edits we've come across?  I plan to discuss the TC's Wiki on Tuesday--think
about a log/response format we can use there.

In processing, the content for this element (with some modification to the
description content, if present) flows literally into XHTML. For FO output,
the expectation is that this multimedia content is meaningless, and
therefore elided in the original FO transforms (which place an empty block
for now).  Authors who intend to print a topic that contains an object
should consider providing alternate content, selected conditionally.

Regards,
--
Don Day
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee

   --T.S. Eliot

             "Paul Prescod"
             <paul.prescod@bla
             stradius.com>                                              To
                                       <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
             01/04/2006 08:51                                           cc
             PM                        "Su-Laine Yeo"
                                       <su-laine.yeo@blastradius.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       [dita] Name attribute of object
                                       element

The DITA language reference[1] says:

name  | Submit the object as part of a form. | CDATA | #REQUIRED | Yes

[1] http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.0/langspec/object.html

But the DTD does not say that it is required.

Overall, the specification of the object tag does not seem to fit
logically in with the rest of the DITA specification. I presume it is
closely based upon the HTML tag of the same name? For example: what
other elements have a "tabindex" attribute? Or an HTML-specific "name"
attribute?

 Paul Prescod