Subject: Possible RFE - xref to step

I'd like to propose a new feature to support cross-referencing a step in a
procedure. I'll start with the use cases and then address my proposed DTD
modifications.

Use case 1: cross reference another step within the same procedure

This is best shown by example:
1. Do something.
2. Do something else.
3. Do another thing. Details are provided in Step 1.

The 'Step 1' in step 3 would be an <xref> to the first <step> in the
<steps>.

Use case 2: cross reference to step in another procedure.

This is also best shown by example:
1. Do something.
2. Do something else.
3. Do another thing. Details are provided in "name of another task", Step 1.

Proposed change to the DITA DTD:
Add a new attribute value to the <xref> type attribute, called "step".

In this case, I'd mark up the first example as follows:
<steps>
  <step><cmd>Do another thing. Details are provided in <xref type="step"
href="myStep"/>.</cmd></step>
</steps>

The second example, where we reference another procedure, would be marked up
similarly, except that its <xref> would contain the standard href value
needed to reference an element located in a different <task>.

The processing expectations I foresee are as follows:

1. online (HTML-based) outputs:
1a. Xref to same <step>: replace the <xref> element with hyperlink whose hot
text is something like "Step 1", where the number is the number of the
target step.
1b. Xref to <step> in different task: replace <xref> with hyperlink whose
hot text is something like "Step 1 in [task title]" or "[task title], Step
1"

2. print/PDF outputs
2a. Same as for online.
2b. Same as for online, with addition of page number of the target <step>.
For example, "[task title], Step 1, on page 33"

Obviously other users may have different output requirements. The ones I've
listed here are based on the current needs of our clients.

All input and comments that can help us refine this requirement will be
greatly appreciated. I need to decide soon whether to specialize for this or
just modify the current DTD. I will also be updating the DITA-OT
accordingly.

Gershon