Subject: RE: [dita] On the DITAVAL file

Something that I never really understood is the usefulness of @rev and the corresponding revprops element in DITAVAL. Traditional versioning (CVS/ClearCase/Subversion/etc) operates at the file level, which means we do version diffs at the topic level at best. Having revision markers down to the phrase level always seemed unmanageable to me: most versioning software would not support that. We just end up using using versioning software to get 2 revisions of a DITA file (topic) and diffing those with an XML differ to generate revision markup.

How do you (and IBM) use @rev/revprops?

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Jennifer Linton [mailto:jennifer.linton@comtech-serv.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 9:48 PM
To: DITA-TC (E-mail)

Chris,
I too think that the DITAVAL file as it is with the ability to do revision marking and flagging. We get a lot of questions from clients who would like to do that and see the benefit of it. I also would like to use it and would do so if we can get the transforms in the open toolkit to work correctly out of the box.

I do see a great need for this functionality though.
Jen