Subject: RE: [dita] Final xml:lang proposal

While I believe we're all trying to say pretty much
the same thing, I'd like to delete the paragraph:

 In the case of a contradiction between the xml:lang
 value set on the map and the xml:lang value set on
 the topic, the setting on the topic overrides.

There is no contradiction.  We've already said that
xml:lang inherits in the usual sense and more local
settings take precedence over settings higher up
(and we didn't even have to say that, since that is
the only way xml:lang can work per the XML spec).

This gratuitous paragraph makes it sound like there
could be a "contradiction" and that we might be
suggesting some behavior for xml:lang other than
the XML-spec-defined behavior.  There can't be
(a contradiction) and we aren't (specifying some
other behavior), so we should just delete these words.

Also, I'm not sure about the wording:

 When reading XML markup that embeds scripts of different
 languages, the embedded languages ....

I don't think scripts can be in an XML document.  An
XML document consists of characters (and markup).  Besides,
the first half of the sentence talks about embedded scripts,
and the second have says embedded languages.  Also, it doesn't
seem to make sense to "When reading...when the document is
saved."

I think we mean to say:

 When an XML document contains strings of characters from
 different languages, those strings should be indicated
 via markup.

but I could be wrong.  In particular, I'm not sure if we're
trying to say that editor tools should convert any use of
the Unicode direction-switching characters into markup.

paul