Subject: RE: [dita] Proposed changes to the xml:lang proposal

OK, if we are removing this completely, I guess the point
I'm about to make is moot.

But, no, you cannot "use the xml:lang attribute to identify
the boundaries...."  An attribute cannot identify boundaries.
This is what I have been trying to say in this thread.  You
have to have a (non-empty) element--with a start tag and
end tag--to identify boundaries, and then you specify the
xml:lang attribute with the appropriate language value on
that element's start tag.

And I don't care if the audience is non-technical, you are
doing no one a favor by using imprecise language.  Attributes
cannot identify boundaries.

paul