Subject: Re: [dita] Some bookmap updates

my comments below in blue and delimited by '***'
____
Nancy Harrison
IBM Rational Software
Phone: 781-676-2535
nancyph@us.ibm.com

Robert D Anderson/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS

04/10/2006 05:12 PM

dita@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
[dita] Some bookmap updates

As Don and I polish off the bookmap proposal, we've come to a few
realizations, based partly on trying to document it, and partly on input
from non-TC members. We plan to update the following items in the proposal:
* Change the content model of major sections like <chapter> and <notices>
from topicref+ to topicref* because children are not required.
* Change the content model of <part> from chapter+ to chapter* for the same
reason.
* Add reltable* to the end of the map (reltable is missing entirely right
now).
* Change the cardinality of list elements from (0 | 1) to (0 to many). An
external comment indicated that some users need to create special types of
indexes (samples given were keyword indexes, author indexes, and a part
number index). The same logic applies to other list types.

***
not sure I understand the reasoning here
***

* Use topicmeta instead of <divinfo>. The divinfo element was created to
reproduce a function that is already available today using navtitle, so we
should stay consistent.
* The current proposal has only 6 elements using camel case. These should
be lower case to match the others. The elements are authorInformation,
publisherInformation, bkChangeHistory, officePhone, specialNotices, and
URLPhone.
* Remove the starting "bk" from element names - it is inconsistent to have
one third of the elements starting with bk, but leave the others alone. In
most cases the bk prefix is there today as a legacy from the bkinfo topic.
For the few elements that are too general without a prefix, change the
prefix to "book" (and remove abbreviations in keeping with other DITA
names) -- so, bkid becomes bookid, and bknum becomes booknumber.

In addition, external comments indicated that there is no way to define a
new type of book section, such as <introduction> or <epilogue>. One option
is to specialize these from <chapter>, although new sections may not
correspond to a chapter. Another option is to add a topicref* element that
is available for specialization. In that case, it is unclear where to add
it. We could add it into the special sections (for example, add topicref*
before chapter*, although this would probably cause some people to simply
use topicref instead of chapter). Another alternative is to place it at the
end of the map, with the relationship tables. In either case, a processing
override would likely be necessary to pull it in to the appropriate spot in
the book.

***
I'd prefer a topicref* element.  While inevitably the chapter element will be specialized to fit specific conditions, we're better off making our 'other' types of sections obvious, and enabling users and specializers to rely on chapter* and chapter specializations being reasonably chapter-like.
***

Are there any problems with the changes, or any comments on the last issue?

Thanks-

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit