Subject: DTD/Schema design patterns for 1.1

For some time now I've been wondering how we are going to accommodate many
of the 1.1 proposals, which will significantly increase the number of
elements that can be used in both maps and topics. I've put my thoughts up
on the Wiki here:
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/New_design_patterns_for_1%2e1

Please take a look - of the few that I've mentioned this to in the past,
several were startled by the number of elements that will now be available
inside map. When reading, please remember that in maps, the only way to get
to most of these elements is by nesting a phrase or object within a <data>
element. Specializations of <data> will often remove this capability; for
example, the data element is specialized many times in the bookmap
proposal, and all of these specializations restrict the content model.

Thanks-

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit