Subject: Re: [dita] Negative values - scoped values

Michael Priestley wrote:
> For example, products have editions - but if you set product="A B C" and
> edition="2" then it's unclear which product the edition applies to;
> whereas if we set product="A B/2 C" it becomes much clearer.

I'm not sure it becomes any clearer given that there's no explicit
definition of what the "/2" means in the context of product.

That is, as I read the scoping proposal a "scoped" value is just a
sequence of strings separated by slashes with the semantic that
selection can be made based on any of the strings in the hiearchy.

But this implies that each term in a sequence of strings is a kind of
the thing identified by the attribute name, i.e., in the example
audience="programmer/java programmer/python" both "java" and "python"
are specific kinds of programmer, which is in turn a type of thing that
can be an audience.

But in the example above, the string "2" is not a type of product but a
type of edition, that is, a fundamentally different type of thing (a
thing that is a product cannot also be an edition).

Unless there was a way to define the schema for the terms in a scoped
value there is no way that the first example could make sense to a
generic observer given only the information in the attribute value itself.

Cheers,

Eliot

--
W. Eliot Kimber