Subject: RE: [dita] Updated feature 20

I suggest:

Colors may be entered by name or code. Processor support is recommended for
the color names listed in <xref href="http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice5.html#section-N8794-Property-Datatypes" scope="external"></xref> and for the 6 digit hex code form (#rrggbb, case insensitive).

paul

From: Michael Priestley [mailto:mpriestl@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 2006 May 23 09:54
To: Grosso, Paul
Cc: dita@lists.oasis-open.org; Esrig, Bruce (Bruce); Paul Prescod; Robert D Anderson; Su-Laine Yeo

Here's what's currently there:

>Colors may be entered by name or code. Processor support is recommended for
>the colors listed in <xref href="http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice5.html#section-N8794-Property-Datatypes"
>scope="external"></xref>

Let me know if this needs to change, and if so, provide the wording.

Michael Priestley
IBM DITA Architect and Classification Schema PDT Lead
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>

05/23/2006 10:48 AM

"Paul Prescod" <paul.prescod@xmetal.com>, Michael Priestley/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
cc
<dita@lists.oasis-open.org>, "Esrig, Bruce \(Bruce\)" <esrig@lucent.com>, "Robert D Anderson" <robander@us.ibm.com>, "Su-Laine Yeo" <su-laine.yeo@xmetal.com>
Subject
RE: [dita] Updated feature 20

You're right, I was responding only to the "what color names" part.

As far as color code syntax, my previous (and current) suggestion is to
accept only the #rrggbb syntax (case insensitive) aka "6 digit hex codes"
aka the HTML 3.2 model.

It's true that the XSL spec is a bit unclear here, but at
http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice5.html#section-N7618-Colors
it says that "RGB colors are directly represented in the expression language
using a hexadecimal notation" and all XSL implementations of which I am
aware do support the #rrggbb syntax as does CSS, and it is the most common
one used in practice.

So I suggest we use the 16 color names.  I don't care if we list them or we
reference HTML, XSL, or CSS 1, as long as we don't put specific RGB values
for them.  And I suggest we say that a color can also be represented using
the 6 digit hex code (#rrggbb, case insensitive) form.

paul