Subject: RE: [dita] Complexity of bookmap content model

The current Lucent model uses the equivalent of

<!ELEMENT part (topicmeta?, title, topicref, chapter+)>

Bruce

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert D Anderson [mailto:robander@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 12:28 PM
To: Esrig, Bruce (Bruce)
Cc: dita@lists.oasis-open.org; 'JoAnn Hackos'; Paul Prescod

To take a little step forward - the revised model, without getting in to
shared front or back matter items, would be this:
<!ELEMENT bookmap (title?, bookmeta?,
      frontmatter?, chapter*, part*, backmatter?,
      reltable* )>

<!ELEMENT frontmatter (booklists | draftintro |
       abstract | dedication | preface | topicref)*>

<!ELEMENT backmatter (appendix | notices |
       specialnotices | amendments | colophon |
       topicref)*>

<!ELEMENT part (topicmeta?, (chapter | topicref)*)>

I'll just note here that the title is optional, just because it is in the
current implementation. Earlier emails implied it would be required.

About placing items in both the front and the back - I'm not voicing a
strong opinion on that either way (though some pretty clearly make sense in
only one spot, like preface in the front). The original idea was to have
some sort of style setting that controlled where the items went. For
example, the index is in <booklists>, which is only in front matter;
default processing would usually stick it at the end. A style setting could
move it before the appendix, after it, or whatever. You know, that old XML
principal - I just have to say I want an index, and my build process
controls where to put it.

I'll note that allowing <booklists> in both spots was not possible before
the <backmatter> and <frontmatter> containers, which may be why it never
came up. There's no technical limitation on it once those are added.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
(507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787