Subject: RE: [dita] bookmap > bookid

Hi, Bruce and Committee:

To clarify the suggestion, the <data> element has a datatype attribute:

The datatype attribute can be used to indicate the type for the data that's provided by the value attribute or by the content of the <data> element.

(Note that, as with other DITA linking elements, the type attribute indicates the type of the target of a reference.)

Some of the identifier classes from URNs (for instance, ISSN, ISBN, OID, UUID) could make good datatype identifiers:

In passing, the datatype attribute could also take a mimetype where accurate for content provided inline (such as CSV values):

Anyway, a <bookpartno> element specialized from the <data> element could use the datatype attribute indicate that the value is an ISBN number:

Does that meet the requirement?

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com