Subject: RE: [dita] indexing question

From: Grosso, Paul [mailto:pgrosso@ptc.com]
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2006 11:09 AM
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

Suppose I have something like (pseudocode, not actual tagging used):

  start index range
  para1
  image
  para2
  end index range

Now suppose, because my stylesheet says all images get floated to the
end of the topic they are in, para1 starts on page 15, para2 ends on
page 16, and the image floats to page 22.

What index entry should be generated?  One with 15-16 for the page?
Or one with 15-16,22 for the page?

I see the ambiguity.

> 7: I'd answer "yes": that seems the obvious interpretation. An index
> range starts where it starts, and ends where it ends.

On questions 6 and 7, the issue here really is whether we want to allow
index ranges that are completely asynchronous to both the markup
structure and even the file structure.  It can be both a processing
problem as well as a debugging nightmare (for the user) if we allow such
asynchronicity.
Imagine a user mistakening switching index-range-start and
index-range-end (so the end comes before the start) in a topic and then
having an index range surrounding that topic in the map file.  If we
allow the "end"
within the topic to end to "start" in the map file, there will be no
errors, but the result is not going to be what the user wanted.

So one other obvious interpretation is that it is an error for an "end"
not in the map file to end a "start" in the map file.

paul