Subject: RE: [dita] indexterm ambiguity

I agree with Paul's interpretation. That is the expectation that
indexers have in creating a secondary or tertiary index item. The page
number is attached to the lowest level.
JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com
joannhackos Skype
www.comtech-serv.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Grosso, Paul [mailto:pgrosso@ptc.com]
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 12:55 PM
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

You are correct that this is a key issue.

I've come to the conclusion that the only workable
interpretation is that a nested set of indexterms
defines only one entry, the multi-level one.

That is:

<indexterm>cheese
  <indexterm>sheeps milk cheeses
    <indexterm>pecorino</indexterm>
  </indexterm>
</indexterm>

is equivalent to the DocBook markup:

<indexterm>
  <primary>cheese</primary>
  <secondary>sheeps milk cheeses</secondary>
  <tertiary>pecorino</tertiary>
</indexterm>

and, if this were the only indexterm in a document,
would result in:

cheese
  sheeps milk cheeses
    pecorino                               5

If you want something like:

cheese                                     5
  sheeps milk cheeses                      5
    pecorino                               5

for your result, you have to have three top-level
indexterms in your input:

<indexterm>cheese</indexterm>

<indexterm>cheese
  <indexterm>sheeps milk cheeses</indexterm>
</indexterm>

<indexterm>cheese
  <indexterm>sheeps milk cheeses
    <indexterm>pecorino</indexterm>
  </indexterm>
</indexterm>

This interpretation does answer some of my other
index related questions, though several remain.

And we do need to ensure the DITA spec is unambiguous
about all this.

paul