Subject: RE: [dita] indexterm ambiguity

I agree, and I regret that this was not clear in the proposal. Each top
level (i.e., not nested within a parent indexterm) indexterm element
should generate at most one index entry page reference.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Grosso, Paul [mailto:pgrosso@ptc.com]
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 2:55 PM
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

You are correct that this is a key issue.

I've come to the conclusion that the only workable interpretation is
that a nested set of indexterms defines only one entry, the multi-level
one.

That is:

<indexterm>cheese
  <indexterm>sheeps milk cheeses
    <indexterm>pecorino</indexterm>
  </indexterm>
</indexterm>

is equivalent to the DocBook markup:

<indexterm>
  <primary>cheese</primary>
  <secondary>sheeps milk cheeses</secondary>
  <tertiary>pecorino</tertiary>
</indexterm>

and, if this were the only indexterm in a document, would result in:

cheese
  sheeps milk cheeses
    pecorino                               5

If you want something like:

cheese                                     5
  sheeps milk cheeses                      5
    pecorino                               5

for your result, you have to have three top-level indexterms in your
input:

<indexterm>cheese</indexterm>

<indexterm>cheese

<indexterm>cheese
  <indexterm>sheeps milk cheeses
    <indexterm>pecorino</indexterm>
  </indexterm>
</indexterm>

This interpretation does answer some of my other index related
questions, though several remain.

And we do need to ensure the DITA spec is unambiguous about all this.

paul