Subject: RE: [dita] comments on indexing wording in dita 1.1 draft

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Esrig, Bruce (Bruce) [mailto:esrig@lucent.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 6:29 AM
To: Chris Wong
Cc: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Chris,

1. Do you agree that it would help to clarify in the language and/or
architecture guides "how an index entry is identified" (see for example
item 2)? We could say: "the complete name of an index entry is
<indexterm>[text and, if applicable, nested indexterms]</indexterm>. The
informal name is [text and, if applicable, nested indexterms]." Then we
can indicate where the complete name and the informal name are used.

2. The <index-see> element (and <index-see-also>) have the semantic form
index-see(source-indexterm, target-indexterm). In the presentation of
<index-see>, both the identity issue (item 1) and this issue should be
acknowledged by providing appropriate background in the text. "A
reference or redirection from a source indexterm to a target indexterm
is made by ..."

3. I can't recall why <indexterm> is the outermost element in the
following two scenarios.

3a. The range start and end markers formally should be of the form
<index-range-start><indexterm>...</indexterm></index-range-start>. Now
that we have clarified that only one range can start in each indexterm,
the question arises whether to adopt this more standard form. See also
3b.

3b. Are we nesting <index-see> inside of <indexterm> either (i) because
of a perceived benefit in reducing the number of tags that may appear in
para or (ii) to preserve existing authoring practices?

4. The language ref text for see-also currently states:

  You can currently [enter] an indexterm in a map's metadata outside of
any content (map/topicmeta/keywords/indexterm). In the absence of
content context, an indexterm shall never generate page references, even
if it contains an index-see-also element.

This is a puzzle for me ... Why would we specify "never generate page
references"? Isn't the topicmeta for a map an external place where index
entries can be generated for a topic? As a best practice, topic-level
index entries that may vary among assemblies of topics should be located
in topicmeta, in which case generating page references would be
appropriate in applicable output formats.

Best wishes,

Bruce