Subject: Re: [dita] Reapproving approved proposals

What a minute - maybe I missed something in your message Michael:
We are missing committed dates with teams that have invested considerable development team in a design they thought was stable.
Do you mean we should worry about work done by teams in advance of final design approval?

--Dana

Dana Spradley wrote:
I think we're saying the same thing, Michael, in different ways: let's bring this to a vote, and if the design fails to earn a majority, let's drop it and move on.

I don't want to revisit the issue already compromised on - but just recall it, to remind the TC that some of us never considered this a very important enhancement anyway.

Michael Priestley wrote:

Given that each feature has been approved by a majority vote of the TC, should it require a majority vote of the TC to re-open? Otherwise the original vote has no meaning.

I think it's important that this particular design revisit is managed quickly and without it becoming a precedent that tosses out our existing investment in process. If the subteam can't come to an agreement by Tuesday's meeting I think it should go to a vote as to whether the design should be opened at all. I do think Paul has legitimate concerns, but I also think this shouldn't open the door to revisit every compromise we've managed to achieve in the last year.

We are missing committed dates with teams that have invested considerable development team in a design they thought was stable. Our credibility with our development community is on the line.

Michael Priestley
IBM DITA Architect and Classification Schema PDT Lead
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

Dana Spradley <dana.spradley@oracle.com>

08/09/2006 12:25 PM

Dana Spradley <dana.spradley@oracle.com>
cc
JoAnn Hackos <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>, Chris Wong <cwong@idiominc.com>, dita@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: [dita] Reapproving approved proposals

Actually, on second thought, and as a matter of principle, I don't know - when it comes to approving a design, maybe we should be able to resurrect old objections if the final design doesn't satisfy and instead  begs all these old questions over again.

Nothing's in the standard until the design is approved - and even then, at some later date we could all decide we did something wrong, and deprecate the solution until it can be eliminated from the standard.

--Dana

Dana Spradley wrote:

I agree. If opposing this innovation had been important to me, I should have done so before we approved the proposal.

On the other hand, I would like to question Chris's notion that since topics appear in the table of contents, they shouldn't appear in the index.

The index provides an alternative, alphabetical method for looking up topics of interest - instead of going over the TOC with a fine tooth comb to find what you're interested in.

And I think that may turn out to be how many authors end up using the index range feature - to index entire topics.

Should the implemention give them some easy method to accomplish that - by inserting one element instead of two?

--Dana

JoAnn Hackos wrote:

Hi Chris et al.
We're just speculating about the concept of page range. I'm sure we all continue to agree that page ranges are appropriate for the model. I was part of the earlier debate, as you know.

Let's concentrate on the mechanism. However, it is still a good idea to advocate best practices in white papers on the indexing issue, just as we have tried to do with the Translation SC's best practice on indexing. You don't have to do it this way, but it might help.

Let's all focus on the mechanism at this point.
JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.