Subject: RE: [dita] Are indexterm ranges backwards incompatible?

The mechanism is standard index page number merging.  This is the way most standards that speak of indexing and most indexing tools that I have seen in the last 25 years work.

Our implementation allows users to specify the minumum number of consecutive page numbers before merging into a range in the result (or to turn off merging altogether).  The default is 3, and few customers change that.  Our customers would certainly complain if we did no automatic page number merging.

paul

From: JoAnn Hackos [mailto:joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 2006 August 15 12:47
To: Grosso, Paul; dita@lists.oasis-open.org

I would not agree with the result assumptions. What mechanism exists for the numbers 5, 6, 7, and 8 to be concatenated into a range 5-8?  A continuous discussion ranging over pages 5-8 does not mean the same as points referenced by the number 5, 6, 7, and 8. The indexer should be solely responsible for determining when a range of pages is used, not have some automatic decision made.

JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.