Subject: RE: [dita] Proposal: Update foreign topic to include processing info for generalization/specialization use case

When using DTDs, if it is desired for the generalized
content to be DTD-valid, then the foreign content elements
should be added to the DTD.

> I propose that we hide the foreign content via a processing
> instruction in
> the generalized document. It gets us past the validator
> issue. The content could then be re-instated during the specialization
> process.  Hiding in a comment was discussed, but there
> is no guarantee that tools keep comments in the documents.
> Also, it makes
> reinstating the foreign content during specialization
> much more difficult.

Putting what should be markup as characters in either a
comment or processing instruction (PI) is quite distasteful
to me.

Also, many tools toss PIs too--not ours unless such is
explicitly requested, but others do.

Note, your generalization process will need to get tricky
if the content you are trying to hide in a PI contains
a "?>" string.

Finally, this all sounds too kludgy and implementation based
to me for a specification.

> <desc>, they
> should not be hidden within the processing instruction.
> All content within <unknown> will be hidden in a processing
> instruction.

paul