Subject: FW: documents for multilingual content discussion

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com
joannhackos Skype

www.comtech-serv.com

From: Nancy P Harrison [mailto:nancyph@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2007 8:37 AM
To: JoAnn Hackos
Cc: Gershon L Joseph

Hi JoAnn,

Here are the latest multilingual best practices doc and the sample Bruce produced for it.  I also refer to a public, more relious sample in the document; we can decide if we want to remove that link completely.  Can you add them to the TC /SC page? I don't seem to have permission to do so; at least no mechanism for adding documents appears when I'm on the page.

Thanks, talk to you in a bit.

Nancy

____
Nancy Harrison
IBM Rational Software
Phone: 781-676-2535
nancyph@us.ibm.com

multilingual-best-practices.doc

Title: wisdom.htm
Wisdom for our times

Here is a bilingual text that demonstrates some simple multilingual markup.

Human wisdom endures over time, and the cultivation of wisdom is a source of strength. By transmitting wisdom, religions and other social institutions increase their influence and achieve their benevolent purposes.

How, for example, would you argue in favor of peace in the home? Here is a persuasive contrast: "טוב פת חרבה ושלוה-בה מבית מלא זבחי-ריב." , meaning “Dry bread and quiet within the home are better than abundance ruined by quarreling.” (Proverbs 17:1/ משלי יז, א ).

And how would you invite someone to read this advice, and motivate them to do so?

To learn wisdom and morality,
to understand discerning words ....
The wise will listen and accumulate wisdom,
and will become able to see through deception.
- Proverbs 1:2

לדעת חכמה ומסר
להבין אמרי בינה ....
ישמע חכם ויוסף לקח
ונבון תחבלות יקנה
- משלי א, ב

As you work to understand multilingual processing, please feel free to quote and redistribute this text.

=