Subject: More Glossary Stuff

Another question: why does the spec disallow the nesting of glossary
topics within other topic types or, to say it another way, why don't we
define a specialization of concept called "glossary" that includes
glossentry? That's exactly what I was expecting to find when I saw the
heading "Glossary elements" and the phrase "Glossary topics".

While the mechanism may be intended to support more automatic generation
of glossaries it shouldn't preclude the creation of explicitly-ordered
and organized glossaries. For example, it might be very useful to create
a master glossary as a single document (because, for example, all the
terms are managed by a single person). That is, it seems reasonable to
be able to have something like this:

<glossary class="- topic/topic concept/concept glossary/glossary"
   id="master-glossary">
   <title>Master Glossary>
   <conbody>
   </conbody>
   <glossary
     class="- topic/topic concept/concept glossary/glossary"
     id="mg-a">
     <title>A</title>
     <glossentry
       class="- topic/topic concept/concept glossary/glossentry">
       <glossterm>apple</glossterm>
     </glossentry>
   </glossary>
</glossary>

I don't think there's anything in the standard that absolutely prohibits
me from doing this myself but the language under glossentry to the
effect that "glossentry *cannot* be contained by anything else" would
appear to prohibit it.

I don't see any reason to do so.

W. Eliot Kimber
Professional Services