Subject: Re: [dita] Configuration vs Specialization

There is a topic called "Modularization and integration" that discusses this.

I am beginning to think that the existing structure of the specialization section is causing some problems. It is currently divided into three sections: content (how specialization is expressed in XML instances), design (how specializations are created and integrated into doctypes), and processing (how specialization-aware processes should deal with specialized content).  This structure was based on input from the TC in the 1.0 timeframe (notably you, Eliot) but I'm concerned that it is separating some topics that would otherwise naturally belong together (like the various topics on attribute specialization, and now the topics on specialization vs. integration).

That said, I'm reluctant to take up the task of rewriting the entire section on specialization around new organizing principles. Most of the content is there, and we might be able to get most of what you want simply by reorganizing the topics, but I'm not sure we should be attempting it at this point in the DITA 1.1 release.

Michael Priestley
IBM DITA Architect and Classification Schema PDT Lead
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@innodata-isogen.com>

01/23/2007 02:50 PM

<dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
[dita] Configuration vs Specialization

The DITA declaration sets are designed to be configurable without
otherwise changing the declarations or creating a new specialization
layer. This is alluded to in various places but I think it would be
useful to have a brief discussion of configuration, customization, and
specialization at the beginning of the specialization section that makes
the differences clear, both from a syntax and practice standpoint, and
from a conformance standpoint.

For example, in the section "What is specialization?" it would be useful
to at that point introduce the related concepts of configuration and
customization and maybe have parallel topics on them at that level.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber