Subject: The DTDs and Schemas Now Make Sense to Me

In the past I have said some possibly harsh things about the way the
DITA DTDs (and by implication the schemas) are organized.

Having now implemented a couple of fairly involved specializations for
real-world applications I have come to a better understanding of why the
DTDs and schemas are organized the way they are and it does finally make
some kind of twisted sense to me.

I still don't agree that the specification should *require* that
specialized schemas be organized in a particular way, but at least in
the case of the schemas, it would be difficult to do it any other way
(with the DTDs, you could easily do it other ways). I do agree that the
way the declarations are structured is an effective way to do it and it
does make doing specializations about as easy as it could be (once you
figure out how all the parts go together).

So I wish to apologize for my past comments in this regard.

W. Eliot Kimber
Professional Services
Innodata Isogen
8500 N. Mopac, Suite 402