Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 3 March 2007

Apologies for sending these out late. I thought I sent them out last
week, but I now see I didn't.
--

Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing

Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee

office: +972-8-974-1569
mobile: +972-57-314-1170
web:    http://www.tech-tav.com
DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 3 March 2007

(Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 3 March 2007 at 08:00am PT
for 60 minutes.

1.  Roll call
    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200703/msg00000.html (27 Feb 2007)
    Accepted (Don moved, Jen seconded, no objections)

3.  Announcements:

    1.  ITEM: DITA 1.1 Public Review in progress!
        http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200703/msg00009.html

        Don thanked Robert and Gershon for their efforts in getting the review out.

    2.  ITEM: DITA TC IPR Transition Ballot approved!
        http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200703/msg00012.html

    3.  ITEM DITA TC Call for Disclosure -- due diligence
        http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200703/msg00010.html

4.  Business:

    1.  ITEM: DITA 1.2 Specification Requirements status:
        http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_Specification_1%2e2_Requirements

        Gershon walked everyone through the layout.
        Gershon suggested adding a status column; Michael and Don agree.

        Chris suggested adding a names column for the main contact person.
        Michael suggested rather adding the name to the email link.
        No objections, so Gershon will add the name of each owner of the requirement
        in parentheses after the email link.

        Don suggested adding each proposal as a sub-page of the wiki.

        Michael suggested adding to the proposal a section on where in the spec updates should
        be made.

        Yas: If we use the document repository, we'll save the versions and be sure we're
        always accessing the most recent snapshot.

        The TC agreed that we should keep the proposals in the repository, and whoever
        uploads a proposal to the OASIS documents repository must update the link
        in the wiki 1.2 req page to point to the latest version of the proposal.

        Chris: We could use the document's URL on the OASIS site (via the Manage link). This
        means the document owner must ensure the filename is not changed. Links from the req
        page to the proposal must point to the document's overview page, not to the actual
        document.

        ACTION: Don to get latest version of the DITA proposal template and
        upload it to the repository; Gershon to add a link from the req doc to the proposal template.

        ACTION: Gershon to complete constructing the req summary page.

    2.  ITEM: DITA 1.2 Prioritization Process

        Don proposed having someone be the release manager who keeps track of who is doing
        what and to ensure they provide their deliverables in a timely manner.

        Responsibilities:
        * Help manage the ongoing review
        * Help manage tracking for the items we've approved for 1.2 to ensure
          nothing gets left off
        * Manage people so we understand who's working on something and to ensure
          it's completed on time

        Jen volunteered helping with this.
        Alan Houser volunteered.

        Michael suggested Jen and Alan discuss off-line how they can provide this role.

    3.  ITEM: SC updates:

        DITA Machine Industry Subcommittee

        Chris presented the work of the SC. 9 members. Currently working on 4 proposals.

        * MI01 Hazard Statement Domain,
          * Proposal: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-machine-industry/document.php?document_id=22148
          * DTD: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-machine-industry/document.php?document_id=22515

          MI01 is a domain specialization adding the statements required by ANSI. MInor change
          to note element @type to add additinal required values.

        * MI02 Note in Step, Proposal by Gerald Goeth about adding note as first element in step.

          Chris: This is a modification of <step> and <substep> to add the note
          element to insert hazard statements before the step's command.
          We expect a draft of this proposal in April/May.

        * MI03 MItask, Task type tailored to the needs in the machine industry.
            http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-machine-industry/document.php?document_id=21926

          Chris: This is a new maintenance task that is better alignd with the machince industry.
          This is the largest amount of work we're doing. We also want to align it with the S1000D task.
          This proposal should be ready by summer.

        * MI04 Base topic without domains.
            http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-machine-industry/document.php?document_id=22747

          Chris: this proposal is to remove the software domains and other elements not expcted
          in the MI. The idea is to have a base topic without domains and allow users to add domains
          easily via specialization. SC is still considering options for short-term workarounds and suggestions
          for future DITA releases.

        Paul raised a concern that we need to ensure we don't grow DITA to become too-compicated
        for users to use. We need to be careful how we control which features we allow into DITA 1.2.

        Discussion about various ways we can grow DITA without increasing the complexity
        for individual users...

5.  Announcements/Opens

-- Meeting adjourned at 09:00 --