Subject: RE: [dita] Chunking attribute on the map element

I am OK with this change, but we need to be careful when the word “inherit” is used.  We said that the chunk attribute is never inherited, so we shouldn't use the phrase “which are inherited if” in the description.  That can be reworded to read “which applies to all elements if” or  “which sets a default if”.

I think changing from bydocument to by-document and bytopic to by-topic would be reasonable.

paul

From: Michael Priestley [mailto:mpriestl@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 2007 April 17 11:11
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [dita] Chunking attribute on the map element

With respect to http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/CD01/archspec/chunking.html

I think there's a clarification to the spec needed. We've got three sets of values:

- byxxx (consider making it by-xxx for consistency?) sets policies, which are inherited if set on the map element
- select-xxx only apply when set on a topicref that targets a nested topic within a larger document, and is ignored otherwise, so it would be ignored on the map element
- to-xxx defines an output chunk for the element plus all its children, but we don't say what happens when it's set on the map element (the "creating a default for all elements within the map" probably shouldn't apply - it would create a nasty mess).

So I propose making the behavior on the map element explicit:

chunk= on the map element
  bytopic - sets a default
  bydocument - sets a default
  select-topic - ignored
  select-document - ignored
  select-branch - ignored
  to-content - creates a content chunk out of the entire map
  to-navigation - creates a navigation chunk out of the entire map