Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 24 April 2007

Hi all,

I've attached both last week's minutes and the updated minutes from the
previous meeting.
--

Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing

Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee

office: +972-8-974-1569
mobile: +972-57-314-1170
web:    http://www.tech-tav.com
DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 17 April 2007

(Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 17 April 2007 at 08:00am PT
for 60 minutes.

1.  Roll call
    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting: (no minutes from April 10--no quorum)
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200704/msg00009.html (3 April 2007)

    Accepted. [Don moved, Rob seconded, no objections]

3.  Business:

    1.  Ranking for 1.2 list--resume grouping/prioritizing at #12042
        * http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_Specification_1.2_Requirements
        * Note current list discussion of item 12051 as we get to it.

        12042: Michael: input for this is coming from arch spec review.

        12043: Michael: Nice to have. Easy fix.

        12044: TC agrees it's a simple item to implement.

        12049: Review of discussion on email list.

            Discussion between Paul and Michael. Michael feels topic nesting rules
            should be on the topic and not on ditabase.

            Paul agrees they should be on topic, but if you're going to have a
            document with root <dita> I'd like to put info on that root element.
            This is needed to duplicate info, not instead of putting the info on
            the topic.

            Don: What are the implications if the value on the wrapper differs
            from the value on the topic?

            Paul and Michael didn't understand the processing issue (i.e. it's
            user error)

            Michael: Add arch attributes to root elements that processors can use,
            but root element won't be specializable.

            Michael feels we need to carefully analyze and review the use cases
            to ensure the implications are OK. Redefine as major enhancement,
            it's not a minor enhancement.

            Eliot and Amber are not on the call, and they also wanted it, so
            decision to revisit this one next week. Robert was asked to
            reclassify this item as priority 1 item.

            Paul: This item is affected by item 12052 -- if we accept this item,
            we would definitely want DITAArchVersion attribute on the root element.

            Discussion on whether to merge 12052 and 12049. Agreement to keep them
            separate for now.

            Michael requested we note that 12052 is added to the short list, since
            it's trivial to implement, but that does not mean the TC wants it included
            in 1.2.

        12053: Chris suggested we move this to 1.3 since the Machine Industry SC
            is still working on it.

        12056: Discussion on how to classify this item.

        12057: Chris: We're going to discuss this no earlier than August/September,
            so we can move this item to 1.3.

            Don: Can we include this as part of generalized task?

            Chris: Maybe, but we don't have enough information yet to really decide
            what to do with this. When we have discussed it we will be wiser on
            which existing proposal (if any) will be suitable for this.

        This completes the fist pass of the 1.2 items.

        ACTION: Robert to rearrange the table into major (core) issues versus
        minor (other, non-core) issues and we'll discuss next week.

        Don would also like to get an understanding of the required effort on
        the major items.

    2.  1.2-related list discussions

        * Specification for DITA learning content specialization
          * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200704/msg00007.html

            John: This is a complete specialization activity, so we'd like to have
            this considered for 1.2 or 1.3, whichever is in scope at the time we're
            ready. Our timeframe is April 2008 to have a full spec on our specialization.

            Michael feels it should be on the 1.2 table for consideration, since
            the subcommittee will work on the item and deliver it to the TC for
            consideration.

            ACTION: Robert to add this item as 12058.

        * Question about collection-type on reltable or relcolspec elements
          * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200704/msg00008.html

            Discussion on the merits of making this change.

            Michael: We should clarify this in the 1.1 spec as follows:
            collection-type on reltable or relcolspec elements are reserved for
            future use.
            Question is should we remove them in 1.2?

            Don is concerned about how this would look if we then rearchitect this
            in the future.

            DECISION: This will be treated as a 1.1 spec comment.

            Michael: Chunk attribute on map element sets policy for map as a whole
            and the other values are ignored, but for example to chunk the whole
            map to a single chunk it should generate a single file. We don't currently
            say that, so it needs to be clarified.

            ACTION: Michael to send note about this to list for discussion.

        * Base attribute issue (Sirois et al)
          * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200704/msg00014.html

            This is a 1.1 issue.

            Eric: Base attributes are missing on some elements, so if anyone wants
            to extend any of those elements the base attributes won't be there.
            Currently there are 3 elements where this is not possible in 1.1 DTDs
            and Schemas. The change is backwards compatible.

            Robert: I feel this is kind of a bug not adding base everywhere.

            The TC agrees this bug should be fixed in the 1.1 DTDs and Schemas.

    3.  Subcommittee updates?

        None.

4.  Announcements/Opens

    * OASIS Symposium DITA TC Meeting info
      o Wednesday, 18 April
      o 9:00 AM-11:00 AM (Pacific)
      o Phone number: Same as DITA TC number (see the OASIS meeting notice for country-specific numbers)

-- Meeting adjourned at 09:00 --
DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 24 April 2007

(Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 24 April 2007 at 08:00am PT
for 60 minutes.

1.  Roll call
    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
     * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200704/msg00045.html(17 April 2007)
     * corrections:
      * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200704/msg00046.html
      * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200704/msg00047.html
        clarify in last week's minutes that the 1.1 treatment will state
        collection-type on reltable or relcolspec elements are reserved for
        future use.

    Accepted with the above two updates (clarification in message 46 and the above note).
    [Don moved, Paul seconded, no objections]

3.  Business:

    1. ITEM: Open 1.1 Spec comments:
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200704/msg00028.html Chunking attr on map

            Michael to update the actual spec text and post to the list.

        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200704/msg00031.html DITA 1.1 typos

            Correction will be made.

        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200704/msg00041.html DITA Spec comments

            Robert will make the required correction.

        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200704/msg00042.html Spec comment about flagging

            Robert will make the required changes.

        The TC accepted all 4 changes to the 1.1 spec. Don clarified that the TC
        understands that we're doing ongoing refinements and we'll discuss again
        if other comments come in.

    2. ITEM: "Moving forward with 1.2" Robert Anderson's suggestions for next steps
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200704/msg00038.html (proposal)
        * http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_Specification_1.2_Requirements (for reference)

        Robert walked the TC through his suggestion.

        The TC accepted Robert's proposal for handling the 1.2 items.

        The TC started working through the minor list.

        12002 - Naming convention

            The TC considers this item radical for 1.1, it should be in 2.0.

        12003 - Documenting DITA design principles

            Michael feels it's not simple.

            Don suggests making a Wiki page and moving design principles into the
            Wiki instead of them being part of the spec.

            Michael feels long-term they should be in the spec, but this would
            be a good stand-in for now.

            Spec update is realistically not going to happen in 1.2 or even 2.0
            timeframes.

            Recategorize as post-1.2.

        12004 - Details in the DITA spec

            Michael: Some of the things in here have already been addressed in
            1.1, but other items have not yet been addressed. We should address
            them in 1.2, though I'm not sure everything herein is simple.

        12005 - Recognizing DITA Documents (spec update)

            Eliot feels it can be closed. Paul feels it's important and should
            not be neglected.

            Suggestion to merge this item with 12052. Discussions that ended
            in decision to close this item, since 12052 deal with this item.

        12006 - Translation best practices/workflow recommendations (outcome
        of Translation SC)

            Don requested to close this one, since it's not directly
            applicable to DITA 1.2 spec.

        12009 - Relax the related links content model so it can be empty (more
        of a fix issue)

            Simple

        12014 - Conref and conditional processing - preserve without resolving (#17d)

            Michael confirmed this is a spec issue. If publishing DITA to a
            stage server where the last set of things are done dynamically, we
            need to determine what's resolved when in the process. There is
            currently no standardized way to set that information. The use case
            is not simple, though the proposed solution is simple (a new
            element that lists the IDs to export).

            Discussion on what should happen when auto-generating IDs.

            The TC decided to leave this item on this list and revisit later.

        12017 - Reconcile metadata elements in topics versus maps (#7)

            Discussion on whether this is simple or not.

        12023 - Move @format and @scope into rel-atts (#18)

            Simple.

        12028 - Modify DTD format

        12035 - Generic collation element

            Leave blank for now

        12042 - Provide guidelines for Public IDs (requirement from architectural spec review)

            Add to 1.2 simple list.

        12048 - Add header rows to reltables

        12050 - Add format, scope, and type attributes to DITA referencing
        elements which do not have them (but use href).

        --out of time. Meeting closed. We'll review the remaining 2 and open
        2 items next week.

 3. Subcommittee/Symposium updates?

4.  Announcements/Opens

-- Meeting adjourned at 09:00 --