Subject: Re: [dita] clarifying the href attribute in the language reference

Grosso, Paul wrote:

> So it sounds like it is already the case that the href values
> are always URIs and we just need to clean up the language a
> bit in the DITA 1.1 Language Reference Manual to make sure
> this is clear.

I made comments to that effect some time ago and I thought that my
suggested changes were both sufficient and were incorporated, but I
agree that:

"Non-DITA targets use standard URL syntax."

Is both unnecessary and potentially confusing (and inaccurate since they
may use URI syntax unless it's our intent to specifically limit DITA
processing to URLs, which I don't think we want to do).

What is actually the case is that *non-topic element targets* use
*non-standard* fragment identifier syntax (the overall syntax of the URI
conforms to the URI spec since the URI spec itself does not specify the
details of fragment identifiers).

The values of href= attributes must be URIs. The fragment identifiers,
when used, must conform to the rules specified in the DITA
specification. If the spec doesn't say that clearly and directly, it
still needs to be fixed.

W. Eliot Kimber
Professional Services
Innodata Isogen