Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 19 June 2007

Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.

Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee

+972-8-974-1569 (direct)
+972-57-314-1170 (mobile)
http://www.tech-tav.com

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 19 June 2007

Chaired and recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 19 June 2007 at 08:00am PT
for 45 minutes.

1.  Roll call

    Regrets from Don, Jen.

    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
    http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/24372/DITA-TC.12-June.txt (12 June 2007)

    Accepted by acclamation. [Gershon moved; Alan Houser seconded]

3.  Business:

    ITEM: Dependency sorting for 1.2 Requirements (ongoing)

        * http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_Specification_1.2_Requirements

        No updates (Wiki is down)

    ITEM: Review and accept proposals for 1.2

        #12036: Image scale-to-fit (Paul Grosso):
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/24374/12036.htm

            The Chair asked Paul to describe the proposal to the TC.

            Paul: In 1.1 we can give width/height or scaling. This requirement is
            to say fit to available space. Change is adding one attribute to the
            DTD and Schema with the value "yes|no".
            Only if the user has not otherwise specified graphic sizing, then
            scale-to-fit="yes" overrides.

            DECISION: #12036 proposal is accepted by the TC by acclamation.
            [Paul moved; Rob Franklin seconded]

        #12017: Reconcile map and topic metadata (Robert Anderson)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/24420/IssueNumber12017.html

            The Chair asked Robert to describe the proposal to the TC.

`           Robert: The idea is for metadata to work in both maps and topic.
            Need to add current prolog metadata wrapper into topicmeta to make the
            DTD models more consistent. There is still some delta, which we'll
            probably unify in 2.0.

            France: Exceptions includes <shortdesc>. What about <abstract>?
            In 1.1 we use <abstract>, so maybe we could move abstract into topicmeta too?

            Eric H: We already discussed whether abstract belongs in map in the
            1.1 scope, and the decision then was it brings too much content into
            map and was considered undesirable.

            Discussion...

            France: Now that there's abstract, shortdesc will be even shorter
            than it used to be.

            Robert has not seen this in practice.

            Eric: That's the rationale for keeping abstract in topics

            Dana agrees with France.

            ACTION: France to post to the TC list a new proposal to bring
            abstract into map meta.

            DECISION: #12017 proposal is accepted for DITA 1.2 and defer the
            abstract discussion to email.
            [Robert moved; Gershon seconded]

        #12046: Expand figgroup content model (Robert Anderson)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/24437/IssueNumber12046.html

            Robert: (Deborah Pickett's proposal) is unchanged as she submitted,
            except for the details of the content model. As designed, it allows
            only notes, phrases and keyword inside.
            The original content model was too limiting. This proposal is to add
            <data> into <figgropu> and also to add the normal phrase and block
            elements into <figgroup>.
            The proposed content model is now legal according to the XML spec.

            Alan: Will this make it easier to add a title after the figure
            instead of before?

            Robert: That should be handled via stylesheets.

            Alan: Yes, I'm aware of that, but some tools don't make it that easy.

            Discussion on what other DTDs do... Alan's OK to leave it as-is.

            DECISION: #12046 proposal is accepted by the TC by acclamation.
            [Robert moved; Stan Doherty seconded]

4.  Announcements/Opens

    None.

--Meeting adjourned at 08:45 PT--