Subject: RE: [dita] comments on 12050 plus longdescref proposal

OK, but I won't make any changes based on this at this time.

> - should we always have a local text holder for the target
> title and shortdesc, as we do with xref, link, and topicref?
> IE, should we treat linktext and desc as a part of the
> general set of link behaviors that belong together, like
> scope and format? Specifically this would affect publisher,
> publisherinformation, source, author, authorinformation (lq
> might need a sub-element of its own, like longdescref).

We decided not to do anything here.

> - the type attribute for author is currently restrictive  -
> suggest changing wording to make the three existing values
> supported but not exclusive (otherwise we can't use the type
> attribute in its normal sense of matching the target's
> specialization)

That is, for author, make the type attribute's dtd/schema
entry cdata and make the description the "standard" one
plus a mention of creator and contributor.

I'll modify 12050 accordingly.

> Response to question re default for the type attribute
> (topic, inherited, or derived from target?):
> my take would be:
>         If not specified locally, should be derived from
> target; if cannot be retrieved from target, assume target is
> generic (ie untyped content - equivalent to a generic topic)
> - maybe not quite the same as saying the default is topic I
> think, since the result is not inherited
>         If specified locally, either directly on the element
> or on an "ancestor" (inheritance in maps is tricky) element
> in the same document, should use local value; but should
> still try to retrieve from target; and if target type is  not
> the same as, nor a specialization of, the local type, issue a
> warning. - This lets you create constraints like "all the
> targets in col3 should be reference topics (or
> specializations of reference topics), and should be
> sorted/treated as reference topics"

I need to think about this, but assuming we have agreement,
I'll modify 12050 accordingly.

> Per discussion last week on factoring out the longdescref
> attribute into a separate nested element, here's the
> proposal, relative to 12050:
>

> Both image and object retain the longdescref attribute, but
> it becomes deprecated in favour of a new, nested longdescref
> element, modelled after xref:

Michael will write up the longdescref element as 12050a.

> - should it allow linktext and shortdesc, per above? if we do
> we'll need:
>         dir
>         xml:lang
>         translate

We decided no.

> - other attributes:
>         href
>         keyref
>         type
>         scope
>         format
>         id
>         conref
>         base
>         rev
>         status
>         outputclass
>         class

These are as they stand in 12050 (except don't add longdesc*).

> (leaving off the filtering attributes on the assumption that
> we shouldn't be able to filter out singleton elements - same
> logic used to exclude filtering attributes from topic title)
>
> In terms of the other referencing attributes in object: I
> agree with Paul they're a mess. We have a codebase attribute
> that holds part of the URI, plus classid, data, and archive
> attributes that hold other parts of the URI (and archive may
> hold multiple URIs). But we know everything being referenced
> is code, and not DITA, so we probably don't need the full
> referential support we have elsewhere - or at least, we don't
> yet have users telling us that they do. So I'm inclined to
> let sleeping dogs lie, fix longdescref for parallelism with
> image, but leave the others alone.

OK, I'll update 12050 to cause object's longdescref treatment
to parallel that for the image element.

paul