Subject: Re: [dita] Groups - DITA Proposed Feature #12013 Referencing a rangeof elements (ConrefRange.html) uploaded

 Another reply to the list from Yas --

From: Yas Etessam
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 5:21 PM
To: 'Erik Hennum'
Cc: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

Hello Erik,

The original proposal didn’t have the constraint that  range of adjacent elements must have the same type.  Only that they must share the same parent.

If a range can span a group of non-heterogenous elements, that implies that the start and end points don’t have to be the same type either.    It might be simpler for processors and tools to work on the notion that the range can span a group of non-heterogenous elements.

Although during the call, I mentioned that the issue at hand is whether forcing a selection of homogenous elements is going to make it more likely that the resulting conref is valid.   Upon some thought, I don’t think that a forcing a homogenous selection will make a major difference.

It will be harder to implement a solution where we have too many constraints that can’t be easily validated.   At this point, I think that a DOM based definition where we define the feature as allowing a series of adjacent siblings to be conref’d is the better approach.

Of course, I am interested in understanding your position in this matter.

Yas