Subject: RE: [dita] Issue 12055 Map referencing behaviors

OK, I don't see anything in Robert's original proposal that would reverse the normal precedence of map operations, so don't see the need for the exception attributes either.

Is this a case of mutual misinterpretation of the terms "override" and "inheritance"? I suspect Robert was using the terms relative to specialization hierarchies, and it sounds like you may have been interpreting them relative to map referential inheritance (the thing I am referencing inherits the metadata of the topicref that is referencing it).

Michael Priestley
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Ogden, Jeff" <jogden@ptc.com>

09/11/2007 06:34 PM

Michael Priestley/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
cc
<dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject
RE: [dita] Issue 12055 Map referencing behaviors

Do your maps look something like this?

Map1
  glossaryref à Map2

Map2
  topicref à glossentry1
  topicref à glossentry2
   . . .

I’m guessing that in this case you want the glossaryref context to override the topicref contexts in the referenced map.  This is the default behavior (referencing context overrides referenced context) and so there is no need for an exception and thus no need for the new architectural attributes.

    -Jeff