Subject: Re: [dita] Groups - DITA 1.2 proposal 12039 Note as first element in step(IssueNumber12039.html) uploaded

Hi Chris - just to add one more comment - I see that your document says
this cannot be done through a stylesheet, but I am not sure I understand
why. The issue of a note appearing on one page, with the command on
another, would still be possible whether the <note> element is coded before
or after the <cmd> element, right?

That is, if the output is not rendered correctly, I do not understand why
this is considered a weakness in the DTD instead of a weakness in the
rendering tool.

Thanks,

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
(507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787 (Good Monday & Thursday)

             Robert D
             Anderson/Rocheste
             r/IBM@IBMUS                                                To
                                       dita@seicodyne.ch
             11/20/2007 09:41                                           cc
             AM                        dita@lists.oasis-open.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [dita] Groups -     DITA 1.2
                                       proposal 12039 Note as first
                                       element in step
                                       (IssueNumber12039.html) uploaded

Hi Chris,

Is it correct to say that your requirement is that, when the step is
rendered to an end user, the hazard note must be displayed first? The
international regulations do not mandate the order that the information is
stored in a source document, right?

In that case, it should be a relatively simple thing to encode a hazard
statement after the <cmd> element, but force it to render before the
command. If you cannot work with the note element inside <info>, then I
think it would impact other users less if the suggested order placed note
after cmd:
      <!ELEMENT step          (%cmd;,
                         (%info;  |%substeps; | %tutorialinfo; | %note; |
                          %stepxmp; | %choicetable; | %choices;)*,
                         (%stepresult;)? )                           >

As I mentioned it should still be possible to pick out the hazard note and