Subject: Re: AW: [dita] Groups - DITA 1.2 proposal 12039 Note as first element instep (IssueNumber12039.html) uploaded

Hi Chris,

I think it does not say that it "cannot be done". I was just concerned
about the impact on others. I know that at one point, the DITA TC decided
that <cmd> should be first because the command should always be first. I
was worried that the original requirement from some users for command to be
first would be broken by this. That requirement did not come from me so I
do not really want to defend it too strongly...

In either case I think that this issue will go away with the looser task
model, because it will surely allow note in this position anyway, and users
can constrain the step if they want <cmd> first. I was realizing that with
the task discussion during today's call.

Thanks -

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
(507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787 (Good Monday & Thursday)

"SeicoDyne DITA" <dita@seicodyne.ch> wrote on 11/20/2007 01:36:17 PM:

> Robert,
>
> Thanks for pointing me to that, if I wrote "this cannot be done through a
> stylesheet" I wrote that wrong. It can be done by a stylesheet but the
> logical order should be defined in the DTD.
>
> E.g. theoretically in a DTD it is possible to place a prereq chapter at
the
> end of a body and the closereq chapter at the beginning and then to
change
> the order in the output with a stylesheet. But it is obvious that we
would
> never define such nonsens in a DTD, as it has to follow the logical
order.

> I will check my document and will update it. Can you guide me to the line
> where I made this false statement?
>
> Best regards
>
> Chris
>

> SeicoDyne GmbH
> Eichenstrasse 16
> CH-6015 Reussbühl
> Switzerland
> Tel: +41 41 534 66 97
> Mob: +41 78 790 66 97
> Skype: seicodyne
>
> www.seicodyne.com
> christian.kravogel@seicodyne.com
>

> Member of the DITA Technical Committee
> Chairman of the DITA Machine Industry Subcommittee

The
> issue of a note appearing on one page, with the command on another, would
> still be possible whether the <note> element is coded before or after the
> <cmd> element, right?
>
> That is, if the output is not rendered correctly, I do not understand why
> this is considered a weakness in the DTD instead of a weakness in the
> rendering tool.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert D Anderson
> IBM Authoring Tools Development
> Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
> (507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787 (Good Monday & Thursday)
>

>              Robert D

>              Anderson/Rocheste

>              r/IBM@IBMUS
>                                        dita@seicodyne.ch

>              11/20/2007 09:41
cc
>              AM                        dita@lists.oasis-open.org

Subject
>                                        Re: [dita] Groups -     DITA 1.2

>                                        proposal 12039 Note as first

>                                        element in step

>                                        (IssueNumber12039.html) uploaded

> Hi Chris,
>
> Is it correct to say that your requirement is that, when the step is
> rendered to an end user, the hazard note must be displayed first? The
> international regulations do not mandate the order that the information
is
> stored in a source document, right?
>
> In that case, it should be a relatively simple thing to encode a hazard
> statement after the <cmd> element, but force it to render before the
> command. If you cannot work with the note element inside <info>, then I
> think it would impact other users less if the suggested order placed note
> after cmd:
>       <!ELEMENT step          (%cmd;,
>                          (%info;  |%substeps; | %tutorialinfo; | %note; |
>                           %stepxmp; | %choicetable; | %choices;)*,
>                          (%stepresult;)? )                           >
>
> As I mentioned it should still be possible to pick out the hazard note
and
> force it to render before the command.
>
> Robert D Anderson
> IBM Authoring Tools Development
> Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
> (507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787 (Good Monday & Thursday)
>
> dita@seicodyne.ch wrote on 11/20/2007 08:58:56 AM:
>
> > The document named     DITA 1.2 proposal 12039 Note as first element in
> step
> > (IssueNumber12039.html) has been submitted by Mr. Chris Kravogel to
> > the OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC document
> > repository.
> >
> > Document Description:
> > HTML version of the proposal for DITA 1.2 item 12039, Note as first
> element
> > in step. To follow directives in many countries for safe manipulations
> > on machines, it is required to place a hazard statement / a note as
> > first element in a step.
> >
> > Proposal of the Machine Industry Subcommittee
> >
> > View Document Details:
> > http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/document.php?
> > document_id=26164
> >
> > Download Document:
> > http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.
> > php/26164/IssueNumber12039.html
> >

> > PLEASE NOTE:  If the above links do not work for you, your email
> application
> > may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to copy and
> paste
> > the entire link address into the address field of your web browser.
> >
> > -OASIS Open Administration

OASIS