Subject: RE: [dita] Enumerated Attributes to be Unenumerated

Hi, Jeff:

If the controlled values proposal is approved, we could provide standard enumerations of controlled values with a scheme map.

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for "Ogden, Jeff" <jogden@ptc.com>"Ogden, Jeff" <jogden@ptc.com>

          "Ogden, Jeff" <jogden@ptc.com>

          12/11/2007 06:40 AM

"Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@reallysi.com>, <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

cc

Subject

RE: [dita] Enumerated Attributes to be Unenumerated

If these attributes become unenumerated, would the suggested values
still be included in the DITA specification or would they just become
open ended?

Making the values unenumerated provides more flexibility for
specializers and users in general. Making the values unenumerated
provides less guidance to users and makes it easer to make mistakes that
may go undetected. Making the values unenumerated also put more burden
on specialization implementations when specializations are shared.

You can see that I've got mixed feelings about this proposal. I wonder
if we shouldn't unenumerate some attributes, but not others.  In any
case I think we should proceed cautiously.

  -Jeff

GIF image