Subject: Genericode Standard for Formally Defining Enumerated Values?

While I think the controlled values proposal will be very useful and may
be appropriate for also defining the effective values for unconstrained
enumerated attributes, I think we should also look at the OASIS
Genericode standard as well, as it may be more appropriate for this
particular use or may be something that can work with the controlled
values proposal in a useful way. See http://www.genericode.org/

Tony Coates gave a nice 6.3 minute presentation on Genericode at XML
2007 (one of the lightning round presentations) and it seemed like just
the thing. However, it is still under development so that may make it
unavailable for immediate consideration for 1.2

It seems like a very simple solution to the general problem of simply
defining sets of "codes" (that is, distinct values within some domain)
and relating individual code values to some governing definition (e.g.,
a set of topics used in the service of defining a set of controlled
values).

Genericode has been used with SchemaTron to do provide second-pass
validation for things like UBL, which uses genericode to define sets of
codes that must vary by user, country, business domain, and so on.

 From what I've seen, it seems like it would be pretty straightforward
for editing tools, for example, to integrate support for
genericode-defined value sets into a DITA-specific authoring environment
given a little bit of configuration (e.g., for this
shell/specialization, use this code set definition for this
type/attribute pair).

Cheers,

Eliot
Senior Solutions Architect