Subject: Re: [dita] How much flexibility do specializers have to make exceptions to behaviors that are outlined in the DITA standard?

There are four long standing items toward the end of the DITA TC agenda:

  1. How much flexibility do specializers have to make exceptions to behaviors that are outlined in the DITA standard? (MUST, SHOULD, MAY discussion)
        http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200710/msg00025.html

  2. What does it mean when we say that an implementation supports the DITA standard? Is the entire standard required or are some parts optional?
  3. Is the scope of DITA 1.2 as it is shaping up too large? Is the DITA specification becoming too complex?
  4. Is the approach outlined in the proposed DITA 1.2 documentation TOC a good approach?
       http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/Draft_1.2_TOC

We had some good e-mail exchanges on the first item back in late October.  The e-mail discussion is included below.  I don’t think that that discussion lead to a consensus or any action items.

I’d like to finish up the discussion on the first item, so we can start to work our way through the next three items. I propose that anyone who wishes send any last thoughts on this topic to the DITA TC e-mail list between now and next Monday, that we have a brief discussion during next week’s DITA TC call to see where we stand, and as part of that discussion see if we agree to the following as a resolution of this issue:

  1. For the base topic and map types both the “markup/syntax” and “processing behaviors” described in the DITA specifications are required.

  1. For specializations the “markup/syntax" described in the DITA specifications is required unless explicitly stated otherwise.

3.       For specializations the "processing behaviors" described in the DITA specifications are not required, but are strongly encouraged default behaviors unless explicitly stated otherwise. Here “strongly encouraged” means that there may be valid reasons in particular circumstances to implement exceptions to the described default behavior, but the full implications of such exceptions must be understood and carefully weighed before choosing to implement behaviors that differ from the default behaviors described in the DITA specifications.

  1. For user defined specializations specific implementations will usually require possibly substantial additional effort on the user’s part to implement exceptions to the default output processing behaviors as described in the DITA specifications. Such implementations are considered fully compliant with the DITA specifications.

  1. Using the general guidelines outlined above the specification editors will review and update all of the DITA specifications to ensure they are clear about what MUST, SHOULD, or MAY (see RFC 2119) be done with respect to both the DITA document types that are officially part of the standard (topic, map, concept, glossary, reference, task, bookmap, learning/training specializations, and machine industry specializations) and for user defined specializations that aren’t a formal part of the standard.

  1. Members of the DITA TC are encouraged to send suggestions to the specification editors about specific items in the specifications that should have explicitly stated exceptions to the general rules given above.  Suggested exceptions can call for either stricter or loser requirements.  Any differences of opinion about exceptions will be resolved as part of the review and approval process for the DITA 1.2 specifications.

  -Jeff