Subject: RE: [dita] How much flexibility do specializers have to make exceptions tobehaviors that are outlined in the DITA standard?

Just to reiterate my earlier position - I think all processing behaviors that are used in a publishing pipeline are ultimately about appearance. We just have a number of separate publishing processes that have shared components. We are now visiting the question of whether the parts of those processes that are shared or common (such as conref, map-based linking...) should be regulated by the spec to the extent that they cannot be extended or customized by someone implementing a new publishing process.

Our original publishing transform for dita2html did conref and link processing in the same pass as the transform to HTML. Now they are in three separate passes, at least in the DITA open toolkit. This makes each process more robust and shareable, but does it mean they should be less customizable?

If a customization breaks the semantics of the thing being customized (such as a conref customization abusing the syntax of the conref attribute), then that's wrong; but where a customization respects the semantics and syntax of the source, I think it's an offense to the spirit of XML (separating markup from behavior to allow multiple behaviors) to prevent customizations. And I think that's true regardless of the category we put the processing into.

Michael Priestley
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Ogden, Jeff" <jogden@ptc.com>

01/07/2008 09:13 AM

"Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@reallysi.com>
cc
<dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject
RE: [dita] How much flexibility do specializers have to make exceptions to behaviors that are outlined in the DITA standard?

Eliot asked:
> I'm not sure what you mean by "markup/syntax"--can you provide examples?

In this discussion we’ve been talking about “markup/syntax” vs. “processing behaviors”.

I think we could have been using the terms “syntax” and “semantics” instead.

I think “markup/syntax” is pretty much anything that is controlled by a DTD as well as the rules for how one creates new valid DITA DTDs. “processing behaviors” are everything else.  But “everything else” is too broad to be useful and that is the reason for the suggestion to split this into at least two sub-categories:  “appearance processing behaviors” and “non-appearance processing behaviors”.

   -Jeff