Subject: RE: [dita] How much flexibility do specializers have to make exceptions to behaviors that are outlined in the DITA standard?

This is a note that Don Day asked me to send out during yesterday's DITA
TC call.

About a week ago I restarted the discussion about what the DITA Standard
REQUIRES, strongly RECOMMENDS, and what is OPTIONAL.  So far the
restarted discussion has been between just me, Michael, and Eliot.  What
I'd like to find out from others on the TC is if these issues are
important enough to continue to spend time on them or not?

So please let me know by sending a short reply either to me or to the
DITA TC list.  I'll summarize the responses before next Tuesday's DITA
TC call.

   -Jeff

Not
> > changing the meaning, but definitely changing the behavior.
>
> I agree with MP here: the meaning of scope is fixed, the rendition
> effect is variable. In any case, we can think of things like scope= as
> falling into the zone of "hints" for which no hard and fast semantic
or
> processing result can really be defined precisely because they cover
> cases where the boundary conditions are inherently fuzzy.
>
> > JO: The specific example given here seems fine to me.  But take a
> > related example, that uses scope="peer". Today scope="peer" is used
> > say that the referenced item isn't currently available for
processing,
> > but it is part of the same document set.  I think this definition
should
> > be true in all cases.  What one does with items that are part of the
> > "same document set" could be customized, but not the fact that the
item
> > is considered part of the same document set.
>
> I think this is a case of bad spec writing: "same document set" cannot
> be defined because we have no formal definition in DITA of "same",
> "document" (other than "XML document") or "document set". In that
light
> it's just handwaving (and thus falls at least back to hint status).
>
> But if the notion of "document set" was formally defined then authors
> and implementors would be able to tell with some confidence whether or
> not what they had was a "document set" and therefore both what "peer"
> means in their environment and whether or not its relevant.
>
> For example, if by "document set" we mean "set of topics and maps
> managed in the same storage or management scope such that it is
possible
> to get immediate knowledge of the properties of any topic in thet set"
> then we can see that peer can map into things like "all the topics my
> CVS working set or my Oxygen project or within my CMS or known to be
> available on these servers with this range of base URIs".
>
> > JO: Allowing specializations to ignore @lockmeta.
> > MP: I can imagine a draft review process that pulled in "author"
info
> > from the target topics, even though lockmeta was set, because they
> > wanted to use a single map for both review and for final
publication,
> > and they only wanted the author info for review... So in this case,
I am