Subject: Revisions to the Acronym proposal

Hi,

This is just a note to let the TC know that the acronym proposal (that is,
the merged glossary/acronym proposal) was discussed in some depth at
today's Translation Subcommittee meeting. We have several changes being
considered within the group, but I wanted to send an overview of those
changes to this group as well:

1. It does not usually make sense to put the acronym as the focus of a
topic, for various reasons, so we are heading towards removing glossAcronym
as the 'title' of the topic in favor of specifying the expanded form first.

2. The glossStatus element (already part of the proposal) should be able to
indicate that a version of the term is preferred. This means that it is
still possible to indicate that an acronym is the primary version of a
term, even if it is not encoded as the <glossterm> element.

3. Language in the proposal about translation issues still needs to be
cleaned up.

Specifics can be discussed tomorrow, but I wanted to give the translation
group a chance for more comments before I sent markup changes to this list.

Thanks -

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
(507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787 (Good Monday & Thursday)