Subject: Re: [dita] Should Nested Topicrefs Be Allowed for format="ditamap"?

Ogden, Jeff wrote:

> In DITA 1.2 we'll have a mapref element. It is a convenience
> specialization of topicref.  Does that help?

No, because it's still really a topicref and since it's only a
convenience should be reliably replaceable by an unspecialized topicref.

A dedicated map-to-map reference would have a pure map composition
semantic much more in the vein of conref than the more abstract (and as
Erik points out, flexible) topicref.

But that train has already left station and won't be back until DITA 2.

I do think the behavior you describe for Arbortext is appropriate.

Cheers,

Eliot
Senior Solutions Architect
Main: 610.631.6770