Subject: RE: graphical hotspots in DITA documents [summary]

Included below is a summary of the graphical hotspots discussion we had during the DITA TC call two weeks ago.

Since I wrote the summary I’ve exchanged a bit of e-mail with a few members of the TC about this and there is a feeling that we may want to look at this as much or more as a base for future specializations as something that will be used directly.  There is also a feeling that we probably need both a name and a title.

I’d hope we could discuss this at least briefly during tomorrow’s DITA TC call.  If this seems to be heading in a good direction, with the approval of the TC I’ll do two things:  (i) develop domain specializations for use with DITA 1.2 and DITA 1.3 and (ii) write this up as a proposed DITA 1.3 feature. It would be my hope that we could get informal approval of this as a possible DITA 1.3 feature soon and that we would come back and formally approve it when we start to work on DITA 1.3.

   -Jeff

From: Michael Priestley [mailto:mpriestl@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008 10:24 AM
To: Ogden, Jeff
Cc: Don Day; Grosso, Paul; Robert D Anderson
Subject: RE: graphical hotspots in DITA documents

looks good

Michael Priestley
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

Take a look at this a let me know how well I remembered and followed the
suggestions Michael made during yesterday's DITA TC call.

The suggestion was to do something informal now and then formalize it in
DITA 1.3 or DITA 2.0 or whatever comes after DITA 1.2. We'd add a new
<name> element, probably a specialization of shape, to carry the object
name within area within imagemap. For DITA 1.2 we'd leave the required
coords element within area empty and for DITA 1.3 we'd make coords
optional.

If we take this approach, in DITA 1.2 we'd have something along these
lines:

<topic id="mytopic">
. . .
<imagemap>
  <image href=""image.iso"></image>
  <area>
     <name>sparkplug</name>
     <coords></coords>
     <xref scope="external" format="html"
        href=""http://www.buysparkplugs.com"></xref>
  </area>
  <area id="tofanbelt">
     <name>fanbelt</name>
     <coords></coords>
  </area>
  . . .
</imagemap>
. . .
<xref scope="local" format="dita" href=""#mytopic/tofanbelt">
Show me the fanbelt</xref>
. . .
</topic>

Or in DITA 1.3 we could omit <cords>:

<topic id="mytopic">
. . .
<imagemap>
  <image href=""image.iso"></image>
  <area>
     <name>sparkplug</name>
     <xref scope="external" format="html"
        href=""http://www.buysparkplugs.com"></xref>
  </area>
  <area id="tofanbelt">
     <name>fanbelt</name>
  </area>
  . . .
</imagemap>
. . .
<xref scope="local" format="dita" href=""#mytopic/tofanbelt">
Show me the fanbelt</xref>
. . .
</topic>

I think a single area could have both an id and include an xref in which
case it would provide both the text to graphic and graphic to text
mappings, but it would probably be more common to use separate area
elements for the from and to links. And you don't need to have both from
and to links or you could have several of each.

It might be better to specialize the new name element from title, but in
that case we'd need to leave both <shape> and <cords> empty in DITA 1.2.

   -Jeff

<mpriestl@ca.ibm.com>,
>                                        Robert D
>                                        Anderson/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS