Subject: RE: [dita] appropriateness of <dita> root element

I don't really disagree with what Alan wrote below.  There are cases where using ditabases or nesting topics make sense.

The problem I've seen is that users and organizations that are new to DITA often choose to use ditabases or deeply nested topics for what I consider the wrong reasons.  Often the reason is that ditabases and nested topics are "easy" since they are similar to what they have been doing in Word or in docbook or in some other “traditional” tool. So they adopt a practice of using a ditabase or deeply nested topics without having to confront the issue of possibly needing to rewrite some of their content into a topic oriented style or to sort out mixed content within the same topic (the differences between concept, reference, and task). And they duck having to learn how to really use and benefit from maps.

The challenge for us is how to find a way to explain best practices as compared with what is simply allowed.  And we have to do this without confusing new users who may already be overwhelmed with too much new information as they are getting started.

This makes me think that new users should be encouraged to start off using maps and avoid using ditabases or nested topics. As they gain more experience they can choose to use ditabases or nested topics.

For similar reasons I think new users should initially avoid the use of conref in maps and possibly conref entirely. Later as they gain experience they can choose to add the use of conref in topics if they wish.  And later still and with even more caution they can choose to use conref in maps.

    -Jeff