Subject: Bug in DITA XML Schema and updates for XML catalog.

Hello,

While working with John Hunt and Jeff Ogden to hammer out some final details for the Learning DTD/XML Schemas(XSDs).  Jeff discovered a couple of bugs with the XML Schemas.
  1) the attribute outputclass in the <foreign> and <unknown> is misspelled.
  2) the univ-atts attribute group the not have @dir attribute defined.

The other issue is related to the current XML catalog for the XML schemas.
We are currently using <systemId> instead of <uri> because Xerces does not properly resolve entries using <uri>.  There was a bug report opened regarding this issue a few years back.  See the following Xerces bug report to see the details. http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ-1104 (Resolution of schemaLocation URIs should be via URI resolution, not entity resolution).  Apologies to Eliot if this rehashes some unpleasant memories.

That being said, we should include <uri> entries in the XML Catalog for the DITA XSDs, as per the proper interpretation of the XML Entity Resolution specification with regards to XSDs. Applications that can properly interpret the specification can resolve the DITA XSDs appropriately and correctly.

I propose that the fixes to the XSDs and the catalog should be approved by the TC and that the errata should be posted in the TC homepage.

Kind regards,
Eric

Eric A. Sirois
Staff Software Developer
DB2 Universal Database - Information Development
DITA Migration and Tools Development
IBM Canada Ltd. - Toronto Software Lab
Email:
esirois@ca.ibm.com
Phone:(905) 413-2841

Blue Pages (Internal)

"Transparency and accessibility requirements dictate that public information and government
transactions avoid depending on technologies that imply or impose a specific product or
platform on businesses or citizens" - EU on XML-based office document formats.