Subject: RE: [dita] Proposal for Consideration: Default Behavior for List Items

I agree with Paul. This might be a slippery slope, where the standard is expected to provide other default styling recommendations. Stylesheet processing belongs outside the standard. I think this recommendation belongs in the OT.

Tony Self

-----Original Message-----
From: Grosso, Paul [mailto:pgrosso@ptc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 15 April 2008 7:31 AM
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

Why are we getting into details of styling in a semantic
markup language standard?  DITA shouldn't dictate to a user
how their stylesheet has to work.  If we put wording such
as Eliot's into the DITA standard, then we are telling
users that they non-compliant if they write a stylesheet
differently, and I know Eliot is not a fan of having a user's
control over their own data usurped by someone else.

The DITA standard includes DTDs and XSDs, but it does
not include stylesheets, and it shouldn't.  So why should
the spec include styling restrictions?  If a user wants
to write a stylesheet, they should be allowed to have it
do anything they want.  If implementors want to provide
stylesheets as part of their DITA offering, then what those
stylesheets do in terms of such things as paragraphs within
list items is a quality of implementation issue.

paul